Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty
What is it and how is it performed?
What is are Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty?
Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty (also known as a Balloon Kyphoplasty) are minimally invasive procedures used to treat spinal compression fractures which are usually the result of osteoporosis or an accident.
When vertebrae are fractured, small pieces of bone can irritate spinal nerves or the spinal cord and cause pain and other symptoms. The goal of both Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty is to fuse these bones by using biological cement to fill the spaces between the fracture.
The Spine Team at OrthoNeuro has helped thousands of patients with spinal fractures return to an active and healthy lifestyle using a Vertebroplasty or Kyphoplasty procedure.
How are Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty Performed at OrthoNeuro?
At OrthoNeuro, both Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty are performed on an outpatient basis so that you are able to return home the same day as your procedure. In many cases, only a local anesthetic is needed for this procedure.
There is a small difference between the two procedures and your OrthoNeuro Spine Specialist will determine which is best based on your unique condition.
Vertebroplasty. A small needle is inserted in the area of the spinal fracture and a biological cement mixture is injected into the fracture.
Kyphoplasty. A small needle is inserted in the area of the spinal fracture. A small balloon is then inserted into the fractured vertebrae and carefully inflated to create space between the fractured portions (hence Balloon Kyphoplasty). Biological cement is then injected into the space and the balloon is carefully removed.
Little to no discomfort is experienced during or after either procedure. You are allowed to return home shortly after the procedure.
Related Services and Procedures
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Herniated Disc
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Sacroiliac Joint Fusion
- Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Revision Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Discectomy
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion
- Minimally Invasive Laminectomy
- Minimally Invasive Cervical Spinal Fusion
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon Today!
- If you have been considering a Vertebroplasty or Balloon Kyphoplasty procedure, or experiencing the symptoms of a spine fracture, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Spine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of procedure is best for you.
Request A Callback:
Meet Our Spine Team
Back Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.