What is it and what are my treatment options?
What is Parkinson’s Disease?
Parkinson’s Disease is a progressive neurological disorder that affects movement. Initially, the symptoms and onset are gradual but can become progressive and more debilitating over time. It is important to seek medical treatment at the onset of symptoms as those who begin treatment earlier may be able to slow down the progression of Parkinson’s Disease.
In most cases, Parkinson’s Disease is caused by genetics as those with a family history of the condition seem to be at a higher risk. There are also some studies that high exposure to certain chemicals or toxins can also cause Parkinson’s Disease, although this is rare. This neurological disorder seems to be more prevalent in men than women and most patients begin to experience symptoms in their late 50’s or early 60’s.
The symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease can be gradual and can include:
- Tremors or shaking in the hands or fingers
- Difficulty with motor skills such as handwriting
- Slow movement of hands or arms
- Changes or delays in normal speech
- Inability to swing your arms when you walk
The Board Certified Neurologists at OrthoNeuro have helped thousands of patients with Parkinson’s Disease live an active and healthy lifestyle using a variety of treatment options.
How is Parkinson’s Disease Treated at OrthoNeuro?
Parkinson’s Disease is generally managed with medications as well as lifestyle changes. For instance, your OrthoNeuro Neurologist may recommend a consistent exercise routine.
There are a variety of medications used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease that your OrthoNeuro Neurologist will discuss with you. Your OrthoNeuro Neurologist will monitor your reaction to these medications and adjust dosages as needed until your symptoms are controlled.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Neurological Specialist Today!
- If you have been experiencing symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Neurologists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.