What is it and how is it performed?
7 Locations Throughout
Greater Columbus, Ohio.
What is Total Hip Replacement Surgery?
Total Hip Replacement is a procedure that removes the bone and cartilage of the hip that has been damaged due to arthritis and replaces them with metal and plastic components. These components mimic the anatomy and function of a healthy hip so that you can return to activities without the pain caused by arthritis. The procedure is one of the most well-known and most effective in orthopedic surgery because it dramatically decreases hip pain and improves quality of life.
The Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeons at OrthoNeuro has performed thousands of Total Hip Replacements and are experts of this procedure using the latest advancements in surgical techniques.
A Total Hip Replacement may be recommended to treat severe osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and post-traumatic arthritis that does not respond to nonsurgical treatment.
How a Total Hip Replacement is Performed?
At OrthoNeuro, a Total Hip Replacement can be performed as an outpatient or inpatient procedure based on what you and your OrthoNeuro surgeon feel are best for you.
A traditional Total Hip Replacement usually uses two incisions to access the hip joint.
Once these incisions are made:
- Muscles and tendons are retracted
- Damaged bone and bone spurs are removed
- The head and neck of the femur (leg bone) are trimmed and replaced using a metal
- A metal or ceramic ball is placed over the femoral stem and serves as the new femoral head
- The acetabulum (hip socket) is smoothed out and deepened
- A new metal socket is inserted
- A plastic spacer is placed and secured into the socket so the femoral head ball component can move properly and smoothly
Your OrthoNeuro surgeon then takes X-rays to make sure the components are perfectly in place. Range of motion is also checked and the incision is then closed. Typical surgical time is approximately 2 hours. Physical therapy is an important part of a successful recovery because it helps patients learn how to stand, balance, and walk. It also helps patients regain strength and range of motion.
How the Anterior Hip Replacement is Performed
Anterior Approach to Total Hip Replacement surgery is a newer technique and alternative to the traditional total hip replacement surgery that is offered by many of the Joint Replacement Specialists at OrthoNeuro. This technique may offer benefits such as quicker recovery and less pain.
In comparison to a Traditional Hip Replacement, the Anterior Approach to Hip Replacement surgery is less invasive. The surgeon does not need to detach any of the muscles or tendons with this technique and because no major muscles are cut or detached, this reduces post-operative pain and leads to a faster recovery.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Joint Replacement Expert Today!
The decision of what approach is best for you will be determined by what you and your OrthoNeuro Joint Replacement Specialist feel is best.
- If you have been considering a Total Hip Replacement, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Joint Replacement Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of Hip Replacement procedure is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Request A Callback:
Meet Our Joint Replacement Specialists
Joint Restoration Starts Here.