What is ankle arthroscopy, and how is it performed?
What Is Ankle Arthroscopy?
Ankle arthroscopy is a procedure that uses a small surgical camera and surgical tools through tiny incisions at the ankle to treat chronic pain or loss of function due to damaged cartilage, ligaments, or bone spurs.
This damage can be the result of previous injuries (such as repeated ankle sprains) or arthritis and can limit day-to-day mobility.
About Arthroscopic Surgery
Arthroscopic surgery can have a quicker recovery time, less scarring, and fewer complications than traditional open surgery.
Ankle arthroscopy procedures have helped thousands of patients return to an active and healthy lifestyle following this procedure.
How Is Ankle Arthroscopy Performed?
At OrthoNeuro, ankle arthroscopy is performed as an outpatient procedure so you are able to return home the same day as your procedure.
The procedure goes as follows:
- Several small incisions are made in the area of the ankle.
- Small surgical tools and a surgical camera are inserted into the ankle joint.
- The ankle is explored and damaged cartilage or bone spurs are trimmed or removed.
- If there is damage to the ligaments, the ligament may be repaired with sutures and/or small anchors during the procedure.
- The incision is then closed with small sutures or bandages. Total surgical time is usually less than 1 hour, and you are able to return home shortly after the procedure.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Specialist Today!
If you have been considering an ankle arthroscopy, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Foot and Ankle Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Foot & Ankle
Laser Care & Aesthetic Podiatry
Foot, Ankle, and Podiatry Specialists
If you have an acute injury or live with chronic foot and ankle pain in Call OrthoNeuro today or make an appointment online for expert foot and ankle care in Columbus, Ohio.
“Very nice staff. They got me in and out quickly, had to get surgery, and they made sure that was all set up and aftercare was clear“