What is it and how is it performed?
What is Total Ankle Replacement Surgery?
Total Ankle Replacement, also known as Total Ankle Arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure used to remove the arthritic portions of the ankle ligament and replace them with metal and plastic components. These components mimic the function of a healthy ankle joint and allow for increased mobility and reduced pain. An Ankle Replacement may be recommended to treat severe osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and post-traumatic arthritis that does not respond to nonsurgical treatment.
The Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeons at OrthoNeuro have performed thousands of Ankle Replacements and are experts of this procedure using the latest advancements in surgical techniques for Total Ankle Replacement.
How is a Total Ankle Replacement Performed?
At OrthoNeuro, a Total Ankle Replacement can be performed either as an outpatient or an inpatient procedure based on what you and your OrthoNeuro surgeon feel is best for you.
During the procedure:
- An incision is made on the front or side of the ankle
- Arthritic bone and cartilage are carefully removed
- Perfectly sized metal and plastic implants are cemented to bones
The incision is carefully closed and the ankle is immobilized in a comfortable splint. The ankle is elevated after surgery to decrease swelling and pain. Physical Therapy may begin in the days after surgery to restore strength and mobility.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Joint Replacement Expert Today!
- If you have been considering a Total Ankle Replacement, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Foot and Ankle Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of procedure is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.