(Shoulder, Elbow, Knee & Hip)
What is it and how is it treated?
What is a Joint Dislocation?
A joint dislocation occurs when one or more of the bones within a joint is pushed forcefully out of its correct anatomical position and is common in the shoulder, elbow, hip or knee. Most joint dislocations are caused by either an accident or a direct blow to the joint. It is important to seek immediate medical attention after a dislocation occurs as other trauma to the joint, ligaments or soft tissue may also have occurred. Attempting to relocate the joint yourself is dangerous and should not be attempted.
If you have a joint dislocation the symptoms can include:
- Pain in the joint
- A visible deformity in the joint
- Reduced mobility of the joint
- Swelling and discoloration of the joint
- Numbness or tingling around the joint
The Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at OrthoNeuro have helped thousands of patients with joint dislocations return to an active and healthy lifestyle using a variety of treatment options.
How is a Joint Dislocation Treated at OrthoNeuro?
Almost all joint dislocations do not require surgery but do require the joint to be placed back into the correct position (reduction). At OrthoNeuro, our specialists will use gentle maneuvers to place the joint back into the correct position as well as examine if any tendon, ligament or tissue damage has occurred. Physical therapy may also be required to strengthen the joint.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Specialist Today!
- If you have been experiencing the symptoms of a joint dislocation, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Request A Callback:
Joint Restoration Starts Here.