What is it and how is it treated?
What is a Hamstring Injury or Tear?
A hamstring injury occurs when you strain or “pull” one of the three muscles on the back of the thigh – called the hamstring muscles.
There are three hamstring muscles:
- Biceps femoris
Most hamstring injuries occur as the result of muscle overload where the hamstring is stretched beyond its capacity during running or quickly changing direction. In other instances, the hamstrings can be damaged due to small micro tears that do not have time to properly heal which causes them to grow larger. An injury to the hamstring can be either a strain, a partial tear or a complete tear away from the bone (avulsion).
If you have a hamstring injury the symptoms can include:
- A feeling of “pulling” or “tearing” at the back of the leg
- Swelling and tenderness along the back of the thigh
- Weakness in the leg
The Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at OrthoNeuro have helped thousands of patients with hamstring injuries return to an active and healthy lifestyle using a variety of treatment options.
How is a Hamstring Injury or Tear Treated at OrthoNeuro?
If the hamstring is strained or partially torn, your OrthoNeuro Specialist will most likely recommend conservative treatment options to help the hamstring heal.
These treatment options can include:
- Physical therapy
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Bracing or immobilization
If the hamstring is completely torn from its attachment from the bone, your OrthoNeuro Specialist may recommend a surgical procedure. The goal of this procedure is to reconstruct the tendon using small sutures and reattach the hamstring to its correct anatomical position on the pelvis using small staples or sutures.
Related Services and Procedures
- Knee Pain
- Knee Arthritis
- Knock Knees
- MCL & PCL Tear
- Stress Fracture
- Patella Tendon Tear
- Patella Instability
- Muscle & Tendon Strains
- Water on the Knee
- Non-Displaced Tibial Plateau Fracture
- Joint Dislocations
- Hamstring Injury
- Knee Injections
- ACL Repair
- Meniscus Repair
- Partial Knee Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement
- Robotic-Assisted Partial Knee Replacement
- Robotic-Assisted Total Knee Replacement
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Specialist Today!
- If you have been experiencing the symptoms of a hamstring injury, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Meet Our Knee Specialists
Knee Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.