Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
What is it and how is it treated?
7 Locations Throughout
Greater Columbus, Ohio.
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a common condition that is caused by a compressed nerve that begins in the forearm and runs through the wrist and hand. Known as the median nerve, this nerve travels under the transverse carpal ligament of the wrist on its way through the thumb, index, middle, and part of the ring finger.
Sometimes, pressure can build up in the space between the ligament and the nerve and when this happens the following symptoms can occur:
- Pain in the wrist and hand
- Tingling in the fingers
- Weakness in the fingers
- Numbness in the fingers
- Difficulty grasping or holding objects with the hand
- Pain that is often worse at night
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be caused by several different factors and is often caused by a combination of the following:
- Tenosynovitis (tendon swelling)
- Injuries (fractures and dislocations)
- Fluid retention during pregnancy
- Health conditions (diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid gland imbalance)
- Heredity factors
If you are experiencing symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome it is best to make an appointment with one of the Board Certified Orthopedic Specialists at OrthoNeuro as soon as possible. Delaying treatment may cause the symptoms to become worse. Our Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeons have helped thousands of patients with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome return to an active and healthy lifestyle.
Treatment Options for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
At OrthoNeuro, non-surgical options are always tried first and are generally effective. They typically include the following:
- Activity modification
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Corticosteroid injections
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome that does not improve after being treated non-surgically may require surgical intervention in the form of a Carpal Tunnel Release. The Board Certified Orthopedic Hand Surgeons at OrthoNeuro are experts in Carpal Tunnel Release and use innovative techniques to minimize surgical time and recovery after this procedure.
During the procedure, your OrthoNeuro surgeon takes pressure off the nerve by trimming the transverse carpal ligament. Typical procedure time is 10-15-minutes and is performed using an endoscopic surgical technique that only requires 1-2 tiny incisions near the ligament. This procedure is performed on an outpatient basis so that you can return home the same day as your procedure and most patients are able to return to normal activities approximately 1 month after surgery.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Specialist Today!
- If you have been suffering the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Orthopedic Hand Surgeons at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Request A Callback:
Meet Our Hand & Wrist Specialists
Hand & Wrist Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.