Ulnar Collateral Ligament Repair
(Tommy John Surgery)
What is it and how is it performed?
7 Locations Throughout
Greater Columbus, Ohio.
What is UCL Repair
(Tommy John Surgery)?
Tommy John Surgery (also known as a UCL Repair or UCL Reconstruction)) is a well-known surgical procedure among athletes and was named after MLB pitcher Tommy John who was the first to undergo the procedure in 1974. The goal of this procedure is to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament by using a graft or donor tendon to provide stability to the damaged joint.
The Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeons at OrthoNeuro are experts in Tommy John Surgery procedures and have helped thousands of patients return to an active and healthy lifestyle following this procedure.
How is Tommy John Surgery Performed?
At OrthoNeuro, Tommy John Surgery is performed on an outpatient basis so that you are able to return home the same day as your procedure. If the UCL tendon is torn and needs to be repaired, a graft from another area of the body is used and can be taken from a tendon in the forearm, hamstring or the big toe. Your OrthoNeuro surgeon will discuss with you which graft may be best for your procedure.
During the procedure:
- A small incision is made in the area of the elbow where the tendon is torn
- Damaged tissue or bone spurs are removed
- Small holes are made in the bones of the elbow
- The graft is then threaded through the tendons
- The graft is secured to the holes in the elbow using small anchors, buttons or screws
The incision is closed with small sutures. Using our advanced minimally invasive techniques, there is very little surgical trauma and you are able to recover and return to normal activities shortly after surgery. Physical therapy will be an important component of recovery after surgery, especially for high-level athletes.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Specialist Today!
- If you have been considering Tommy John’s Surgery, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeons at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of surgery is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Request A Callback:
Meet Our Elbow Specialists
Elbow Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.