Golfer’s & Tennis Elbow
What is it and how is it treated?
What is Golfers or Tennis Elbow?
Golfer’s Elbow and Tennis Elbow are commonly used terms to describe inflammation of the tendons on the inside and outside of the elbow due to repetitive strain or stress on the tendon. Despite what the names may suggest, Golfer’s Elbow and Tennis Elbow are more common in those whose jobs require repetitive motion of the arm and grasping than it is in athletes. In fact, contractors, plumbers, painters, and other laborers are among the most commonly affected by these conditions.
The one major difference between Golfers’ Elbow and Tennis Elbow is where on the elbow the injury occurs.
Golfer’s Elbow. This is also known as medial epicondylitis and affects the tendons on the inside of the elbow.
Tennis Elbow. This is also known as lateral epicondylitis and affects the tendons on the outside of the elbow.
If you have Golfer’s Elbow or Tennis Elbow the common symptoms can include:
- Elbow pain (on the inside of the elbow or outside of the elbow)
- Stiffness of the elbow
- Difficulty grasping objects
- Numbness or tingling in the fingers
The Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at OrthoNeuro have helped thousands of patients with Golfer’s Elbow or Tennis Elbow return to an active and healthy lifestyle using a variety of treatment options.
How are Golfer’s Elbow and Tennis Elbow Treated at OrthoNeuro?
In most cases, your OrthoNeuro Specialists will recommend conservative treatments for Golfer’s Elbow or Tennis Elbow as almost all cases of these injuries get better without surgery.
These treatment options can include:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical Therapy
- Corticosteroid injections
In rare instances, your OrthoNeuro Specialists may recommend an arthroscopic procedure. These arthroscopic procedures are performed on an outpatient basis so that you are able to return home the same day as your procedure. Using our advanced minimally invasive techniques, there is very little surgical trauma and you are able to recover and return to normal activities shortly after surgery.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Specialist Today!
- If you have been experiencing the symptoms of Golfer’s Elbow or Tennis Elbow, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Related Services and Procedures
- Elbow Fracture
- Elbow Bursitis
- Elbow Popping
- Golfer & Tennis Elbow
- UCL Tear
- Hyperextended Elbow
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- UCL Repair (Tommy John Surgery)
Hand & Wrist
Meet Our Elbow Specialists
Elbow Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.