What is it and how is it treated?
What is a Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone)?
The clavicle sits between the ribcage and the shoulder blade and connects the arm to the body. In most cases, the clavicle (also called the collarbone) is fractured due to a fall onto an outstretched arm or direct blow to the shoulder. When the clavicle is fractured, the fracture itself is classified as either non-displaced (pieces of bone are near their normal anatomic position) or displaced (pieces of the bone are not near their normal anatomic position).
If you have a clavicle fracture the common symptoms can include:
- Shoulder pain
- Swelling or bruising
- A bump or lump on the collar bone
- Difficulty moving the shoulder
The Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at OrthoNeuro have helped thousands of patients with clavicle fractures return to an active and healthy lifestyle using a variety of treatment options.
How is a Broken Clavicle Treated at OrthoNeuro?
Depending upon the location of the fracture and whether the fracture is non-displaced or displaced, the Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at OrthoNeuro offer several treatment options.
In many cases, the arm can be placed in a sling or cast for several weeks while the clavicle heals and returns to its correct position in the shoulder.
In other cases, your OrthoNeuro Specialist may recommend a surgical procedure. During this outpatient procedure, the fracture is reduced by returning the clavicular bone to its correct anatomical position, and using small plates or screws to fixate the fracture so that the bones can heal.
Related Services and Procedures
- Shoulder Pain
- Shoulder Fracture
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Shoulder Bursitis
- Rotator Cuff Tear
- Biceps Tendon Tear
- SLAP Tear
- AC Joint Injury
- Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone)
- Frozen Shoulder Syndrome
- Shoulder Impingement
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Shoulder Replacement
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Specialist Today!
- If you have been experiencing the symptoms of a clavicle fracture, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Meet Our Shoulder Specialists
Schedule an Appointment Today
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.