What is it and how is it performed?
7 Locations Throughout
Greater Columbus, Ohio.
What is Total Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
Total Shoulder Replacement is a surgical procedure that removes osteoarthritic bone and replaces it with metal and plastic components. These components mimic the anatomy and function of a healthy shoulder so that you can return to activities without the pain caused by arthritis. Total shoulder replacement is very effective at restoring range of motion and improving quality of life. The procedure may be performed on an outpatient basis, although most times an overnight hospital stay is necessary.
The Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeons at OrthoNeuro have performed thousands of Total Shoulder Replacements and are experts of this procedure.
A Total Shoulder Replacement may be recommended to treat severe osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and post-traumatic arthritis that does not respond to nonsurgical treatment.
How a Total Shoulder Replacement is Performed?
At OrthoNeuro, a Total Shoulder Replacement can be performed as an outpatient or inpatient procedure based on what you and your OrthoNeuro surgeon feel are best for you.
During the procedure:
- Incision. An incision is made on the front of the shoulder. Modern surgical techniques and new total shoulder components allow surgeons to make much smaller incisions.
- Bone removal. Osteoarthritic bone is removed and prepared for implants.
- Implants. Metal and plastic implants are perfectly positioned and then cemented in place.
- Closure. The incision is carefully closed and sterilely dressed.
Physical therapy is an important part of recovery as it helps improve stability in the shoulder as well as increase range of motion.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Joint Replacement Expert Today!
- If you have been considering a Total Shoulder Replacement, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Shoulder Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of Shoulder Replacement procedure is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Request A Callback:
Meet Our Joint Replacement Specialists
Joint Restoration Starts Here.