What is it and how is it treated?
What is Shoulder Impingement?
Shoulder impingement is a common cause of shoulder pain, especially for those whose daily routines require repetitive overhead movements such as lifting, painting, or throwing. Shoulder impingement occurs when the shoulder bursa (fluid-filled sacs in the shoulder) or rotator cuff tendons are intermittently trapped and compressed when the shoulder is raised overhead. Over time, this impingement can lead to the thinning of the tendons and increased risk for other injuries, such as rotator cuff tears.
If you have a shoulder impingement the common symptoms can include:
- Shoulder pain
- Shoulder stiffness
- Pain when raising the shoulder
- Pain when putting on a shirt or jacket
- Muscle weakness when reaching or lifting
The Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at OrthoNeuro have helped thousands of patients with shoulder impingements return to an active and healthy lifestyle using a variety of treatment options.
How is Shoulder Impingement Treated at OrthoNeuro?
Shoulder impingement rarely requires surgery, unless the impingement has caused damage to the ligaments or tendons of the shoulder. However, in most cases, the Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists use a conservative treatment plan to treat shoulder impingement.
These treatment options can include:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical Therapy
- Injection Therapy
Related Services and Procedures
- Shoulder Pain
- Shoulder Fracture
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Shoulder Bursitis
- Rotator Cuff Tear
- Biceps Tendon Tear
- SLAP Tear
- AC Joint Injury
- Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone)
- Frozen Shoulder Syndrome
- Shoulder Impingement
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Shoulder Replacement
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Specialist Today!
- If you have been experiencing the symptoms of shoulder impingement, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Meet Our Shoulder Specialists
Schedule an Appointment Today
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.