What is it and how is it performed?
What is Reverse Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
A reverse shoulder replacement is a procedure mainly performed on older patients who suffer rotator cuff tear arthropathy. Rotator cuff arthropathy is a medical condition where the muscles around the shoulder, also known as rotator cuff muscles, are so weak and degenerated that the shoulder is no longer stable enough to be held intact or function properly with arthritis.
Signs & Symptoms
Some signs and symptoms that may necessitate a full evaluation by a physician for reverse shoulder replacement include older individuals with significant pain and little or not movement in their shoulder, and those with chronic rotator cuff tears with arthritis.
First, an incision is made across the side of the shoulder going from above the collarbone to the middle of the upper arm bone. This incision exposes the irregular joint surface. The head of the humerus, or upper arm bone, is then cut.
Next, the humerus is prepared to be replaced with a long metal piece made to imitate the original humeral head. At this point, depending on the level of damage to the scapula, or shoulder bone, the surgeon will smooth out the bone and cap it with a plastic or metal piece.
The prosthesis is then set into place securely by using several screws, and sometimes a cement.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Joint Replacement Expert Today!
- If you have been considering a Reverse Shoulder Replacement, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Joint Replacement Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine if a Reverse Shoulder Replacement procedure is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Related Services and Procedures
- Shoulder Pain
- Shoulder Fracture
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Shoulder Bursitis
- Rotator Cuff Tear
- Biceps Tendon Tear
- SLAP Tear
- AC Joint Injury
- Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone)
- Frozen Shoulder Syndrome
- Shoulder Impingement
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Shoulder Replacement