Frozen Shoulder Syndrome
What is it and how is it treated?
7 Locations Throughout
Greater Columbus, Ohio.
What is Frozen Shoulder Syndrome?
Frozen Shoulder Syndrome (also known as adhesive capsulitis) occurs when the capsule that surrounds the shoulder joint begins to thicken and restrict motion in the shoulder. Frozen Shoulder Syndrome can be difficult because the pain may last for days or weeks at a time (freezing phase) and then resolve itself (thawing phase) only to return a few weeks or months later. Full recovery may take up to 3 years. This condition commonly affects people between the ages of 40-60, and occurs more often in women than men. Some research has shown that underlying conditions such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hyperthyroidism are at a higher risk to develop this condition as well.
If you have Frozen Shoulder Syndrome the common symptoms can include:
- Severe shoulder pain
- Reduced mobility of the shoulder in a capsular pattern with the loss in motion being the greatest with external rotation followed by abduction (raising arm to the side) and then flexion (forward motion)
- Pain in the shoulder that lasts for days or weeks and then resolves
The Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at OrthoNeuro have helped thousands of patients with Frozen Shoulder Syndrome return to an active and healthy lifestyle using a variety of treatment options.
How is Frozen Shoulder Syndrome Treated at OrthoNeuro?
At OrthoNeuro, most cases of Frozen Shoulder Syndrome are managed using conservative treatment options and surgery for Frozen Shoulder Syndrome is not often needed.
These treatment options can include:
- Physical therapy
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Corticosteroid injections
- Shoulder manipulation
In the rare instances where non-surgical options have not reduced symptoms and surgery is recommended by your OrthoNeuro Specialist, an arthroscopic procedure to remove scar tissue from the shoulder joint can be performed. Using our advanced minimally invasive techniques, there is very little surgical trauma and you are able to recover and return to normal activities shortly after surgery.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Specialist Today!
- If you have been experiencing the symptoms of Frozen Shoulder Syndrome, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Request A Callback:
Meet Our Shoulder Specialists
Shoulder Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.