Degenerative Disc Disease
What is it and how is it treated?
7 Locations Throughout
Greater Columbus, Ohio.
What is Degenerative Disc Disease?
As we age, our intervertebral discs, which act as shock absorbers in the spine, lose some of their fluid content and decrease in size and height. The wear in these joints may cause the discs to dry, weaken or herniate (bulge). Osteoarthritis of the spine and spinal stenosis may also develop as a result. Any of the intervertebral discs can degenerate; however, those of the neck and lower back are the ones most often affected.
In many cases, degenerative disc disease in its early stages typically does not cause symptoms. When symptoms do appear, they range in type and severity and can include:
- Pain in the neck or back
- Pain that radiates into the extremities
- Feeling of stiffness in the neck or back
- Pain in the back that is made better by sitting or standing
If you are experiencing symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disease it is best to make an appointment with one of the Board Certified Spine Specialists at OrthoNeuro as soon as possible. Delaying treatment may cause the symptoms to become worse. Our Board Certified Spine Specialists have helped thousands of patients with Degenerative Disc Disease return to an active and healthy lifestyle.
Treatment Options for Degenerative Disc Disease
At OrthoNeuro, Degenerative Disc Disease can usually be treated using non-surgical treatment options such as the following:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Physical Therapy
- Activity modification
Degenerative Disc Disease itself is not treated with surgery. However, osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, herniated discs, and vertebral compression fractures that occur due to Degenerative Disc Disease may require surgical intervention. Depending upon your condition and if non-surgical options have not relieved your pain, your OrthoNeuro Spine Specialist may recommend a Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery to relieve pain and correct the underlying spinal condition. At OrthoNeuro, our Board Certified Spine Surgeons are experts in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon Today!
- If you have been experiencing the symptoms of Degenerative Disc Disease, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Spine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Request A Callback:
Meet Our Spine Team
Back Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.