What is it and how is it performed?
What is Minimally Invasive Discectomy?
A Minimally Invasive Discectomy (Microdiscectomy) is a surgical procedure of the spine that uses a very small incision (usually less than one inch), a microscope, and small surgical tools to remove portions of the intervertebral disc(s) that are compressing the spinal nerves in the lower back.
A Microdiscectomy is most often used to treat the symptoms of a herniated disc that did not respond to non-surgical treatment options. A microdiscectomy is especially effective in treating sciatica—a burning pain that runs from the hip to the back of the thigh and legs and sciatica relief usually occurs very quickly after surgery.
At OrthoNeuro, our Board Certified Spine Surgeons are experts in Microdiscectomy surgery and have helped thousands of patients return to an active and healthy lifestyle after this procedure.
How a Minimally Invasive Discectomy is Performed
At OrthoNeuro, a Microdiscectomy is usually performed as an outpatient procedure so that you can return home the same day as your procedure.
Steps used to perform the procedure include:
- Incision. A small one-inch incision is made along the lower back.
- Exposure. Muscles are gently retracted so the compressed nerve can be viewed.
- Discectomy. Tiny instruments and microscopic guidance are used to remove pieces of the disc and arthritic bone.
- Closure. Stitches and adhesive strips close the incision.
Using our advanced minimally invasive techniques, there is very little surgical trauma and you are able to recover and return to normal activities shortly after surgery.
Related Services and Procedures
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Herniated Disc
- Osteoporosis Spine Fractures
- Arthritis in the Spine
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Cervical Myelopathy
- Sacroiliac Joint Fusion
- Sacroiliac Joint Injection
- Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Revision Spine Surgery
- Epidural Steroid Injections
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Discectomy
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion
- Minimally Invasive Laminectomy
- Minimally Invasive Cervical Spinal Fusion
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon Today!
- If you have been considering spine surgery, or you are experiencing the symptoms of a herniated disc and/ or sciatica, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Spine Surgeons at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of surgery is best for you.
Meet Our Spine Team
Back Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.