What Is Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion?
Open incision spinal fusion procedures have been performed for many years. However, recent advancements in spine surgery at OrthoNeuro have allowed our Board Certified Orthopedic Spine Surgeons and neurosurgeons to perform spinal fusion procedures in a minimally invasive manner.
About Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion
With this technique a smaller incision is used, less surgical trauma is caused, and recovery is much quicker.
You may need a minimally invasive spinal fusion for a variety of conditions, including:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal stenosis and arthritis of the spine
- Compressed nerve root
At OrthoNeuro, our Board Certified Spine Surgeons have helped thousands of patients return to an active and healthy lifestyle after a minimally invasive spinal fusion.
How Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion is Performed
At OrthoNeuro, a Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion can be performed as an outpatient or inpatient procedure based on what you and your OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon feel are best for you.
During a minimally invasive spinal fusion procedure:
- The disc is removed. The damaged or herniated intervertebral disc is removed.
- The disc is replaced. A bone graft-filled implant is carefully placed between adjacent vertebrae.
- The implant is fixated. Rods or plates and screws fixate adjacent vertebrae so they may fuse to form a single solid bone.
Depending upon your unique condition there are several types of minimally invasive spinal fusion approaches:
- Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF)
- Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF)
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF)
- Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (XLIF)
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon Today!
If you have been considering a spinal fusion procedure, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Spine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of spinal fusion procedure is best for you.
Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion
Minimally Invasive Laminectomy
Spine Care Specialists
If you live with chronic back or neck pain, contact OrthoNeuro in Columbus, Ohio, for state-of-the-art diagnosis and personalized spine care treatment plans to heal your spine, relieve your pain, and help you get back to your regular activities.
“My experience is always very pleasant from the time I enter the door until I leave, they make me feel comfortable and welcomed.“