Herniated Disc (Cervical & Lumbar)
What is it and how is it treated?
What is a Herniated Disc?
When a portion of the disc protrudes into the spinal canal, it is known as a herniated disc. Oftentimes, a herniated disc can pinch a spinal nerve and cause back or neck pain as well as pain that radiates into the extremities.
A herniated disc can occur when lifting an object without proper form or when lifting an object that is too heavy. It can also occur as a result of other spinal conditions including:
The symptoms of a herniated disc may include the following:
- Pain in the neck or lower back
- Radiating pain down arms or legs (such as sciatica pain)
- Weakness in the hands or feet
- Numbness in the hands or feet
- Burning in the hands or feet
If you are experiencing symptoms of a herniated disc it is best to make an appointment with one of the Board Certified Spine Specialists at OrthoNeuro as soon as possible. Delaying treatment may cause the symptoms to become worse or even develop other spine conditions such as scoliosis.
Treatment Options for a Lumbar or Cervical Herniated Disc
At OrthoNeuro, a herniated disc can usually be treated using non-surgical treatment options such as the following:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Activity modification
- Physical Therapy
In some instances where non-surgical treatment options have not relieved the symptoms of a herniated disc, your OrthoNeuro Spine Specialist may recommend a Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery to remove the herniated disc or bone fragments that are causing pain. At OrthoNeuro, our Board Certified Spine Surgeons are experts in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery.
Related Services and Procedures
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Herniated Disc
- Osteoporosis Spine Fractures
- Arthritis in the Spine
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Cervical Myelopathy
- Sacroiliac Joint Fusion
- Sacroiliac Joint Injection
- Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Revision Spine Surgery
- Epidural Steroid Injections
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Discectomy
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion
- Minimally Invasive Laminectomy
- Minimally Invasive Cervical Spinal Fusion
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon Today!
- If you have been experiencing the symptoms of a herniated disc, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Spine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
- Best of all, most patients can be seen within 24 hours of making an appointment.
Meet Our Spine Team
Back Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.