Cervical Spinal Fusion
What is it and how is it performed?
What is a Minimally Invasive Cervical Fusion (ACDF)?
A Minimally Invasive Cervical Fusion is also commonly referred to as an ACDF and is used to treat chronic pain, nerve compression, and/or instability that originates in the cervical spine. This procedure is typically recommended when cervical spine conditions do not respond to conservative treatment options.
Although ACDF’s were historically performed with an open incision, at OrthoNeuro our advanced technology and training allow most ACDF’s to be performed in a minimally invasive fashion. This means a much smaller incision is used, less surgical trauma occurs and recovery time is shortened.
The Board Certified Spine Surgeons at OrthoNeuro are experts in Minimally Invasive Cervical Spinal Fusion procedures and have helped thousands of patients return to an active and healthy lifestyle following this procedure.
How is a Minimally Invasive Cervical Fusion (ACDF) Performed at OrthoNeuro?
At OrthoNeuro, an ACDF may be performed as either an inpatient or outpatient procedure based on your Spine Surgeons recommendation. If the procedure is performed on an inpatient basis, the hospital stay is usually only 1-2 days.
During an ACDF procedure:
- Incision. A small 1-2 inch incision is made in the front or back of the neck (depending upon your specific condition).
- Exposure. Muscles are gently retracted so the cervical spine can be viewed.
- Discectomy. Tiny instruments are used to carefully remove the damaged disc.
- Implant insertion. A bone graft packed spacer is inserted between adjacent vertebrae.
- Fusion. Small rods and/or plates and screws are used to fixate adjacent vertebrae.
Using our advanced minimally invasive techniques, there is very little surgical trauma and you are able to recover and return to normal activities shortly after surgery.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon Today!
- If you have been considering a Minimally Invasive Cervical Spine Fusion, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Spine Surgeons at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of surgery is best for you.
Related Services and Procedures
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Herniated Disc
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Sacroiliac Joint Fusion
- Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Revision Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Discectomy
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion
- Minimally Invasive Laminectomy
- Minimally Invasive Cervical Spinal Fusion
Meet Our Spine Team
Back Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.