What is it and how is it performed?
7 Locations Throughout
Greater Columbus, Ohio.
What is a Minimally Invasive Laminectomy?
A Minimally Invasive Laminectomy (also known as a Spinal Decompression) is a procedure used to relieve the pain and pressure on the nerve roots in the spine. It is most commonly performed to relieve the pain of stenosis, the narrowing of the spinal canal, that is often caused by the formation of bony growths that can press against the nerve roots. This procedure is done by removing part of the spinal vertebrae, known as the lamina, so that the spinal nerve can be decompressed and pain can be relieved. This procedure relieves pressure on the nerve roots in the spine.
Although laminectomies were historically performed with an open incision, at OrthoNeuro our advanced technology and training allow most laminectomies to be performed in a minimally invasive fashion. This means a much smaller incision is used, less surgical trauma occurs and recovery time is shortened.
This procedure is often used to treat conditions including:
- Spinal Stenosis
- Bone spurs
- Herniated Disc
- Arthritis of the Spine
The Board Certified Spine Surgeons at OrthoNeuro are experts in Minimally Invasive Laminectomy procedures and have helped thousands of patients return to an active and healthy lifestyle following this procedure.
How a Minimally Invasive Laminectomy is Performed
At OrthoNeuro, a Minimally Invasive Laminectomy is typically performed as an outpatient procedure so that you can return home the same day as your procedure.
During a Minimally Invasive Laminectomy:
- A small incision is made over the affected vertebrae
- Small instruments are used to remove the lamina
- Portions of the damaged intervertebral disc and/or arthritic bone are removed
- Sutures and adhesive strips are used to close the incision.
Using our advanced minimally invasive techniques, there is very little surgical trauma and you are able to recover and return to normal activities shortly after surgery.
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon Today!
- If you have been considering a Minimally Invasive Laminectomy, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Spine Surgeons at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of surgery is best for you.
Meet Our Spine Team
Back Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.