Sacroiliac Joint Fusion
What is it and how is it performed?
What is a Sacroiliac Joint Fusion?
A Sacroiliac Joint Fusion, also known as an SI Fusion, is a minimally invasive procedure used to stabilize the sacroiliac joint by using small bone implants and screws to fixate the joint in place. This fixation alleviates the pain caused by Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction.
This is a newer procedure and the Board Certified Spine Surgeons at OrthoNeuro have performed thousands of these procedures and have helped countless patients return to an active and healthy life after an SI Joint Fusion.
How is a Sacroiliac Joint Fusion Performed at OrthoNeuro?
At OrthoNeuro, an SI Joint Fusion may be performed as an inpatient or outpatient procedure based on your Spine Surgeons recommendation. If the procedure is performed on an inpatient basis, the hospital stay is usually only 1-2 days.
During an SI Joint Fusion procedure:
- Incision. A small incision is made on the outside part of the buttock.
- Exposure. Buttock and hip muscles are gently retracted to view the joint.
- Joint preparation. A small hole is made in the hip. Cartilage and soft tissues are carefully removed.
- Implant placement. A bone graft packed implant is inserted into the prepared joint space.
- Implant fixation. Screws and pins fixate the implant.
After surgery, the bone graft fuses with existing bone to form a solid joint that no longer causes pain. Using our advanced minimally invasive techniques, there is very little surgical trauma and you are able to recover and return to normal activities shortly after surgery.
Related Services and Procedures
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Herniated Disc
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Sacroiliac Joint Fusion
- Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Revision Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Discectomy
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion
- Minimally Invasive Laminectomy
- Minimally Invasive Cervical Spinal Fusion
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon Today!
- If you have been considering an SI Joint Fusion, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Spine Surgeons at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of surgery is best for you.
Meet Our Specialist
Back Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.