What is it and how is it treated?
What Causes Sciatica?
Sciatica is one of the most common spinal conditions and describes pain that originates in the lower back and radiates into the buttocks, the back of the legs, and into the feet. The sciatic nerve is the longest continuous nerve in the body, beginning in the lower back and extending into the legs.
Sciatica is a term used to describe the pain but is not an actual diagnosis and is instead a symptom of an underlying condition that is causing pressure on the sciatic nerve. It’s very important that you schedule a consultation with a spine specialist to be able to diagnose and treat any underlying condition that may be causing your sciatica pain.
These conditions can include:
- Herniated, bulging, or slipped spinal discs
- Spinal Stenosis
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Spinal bone spurs
- Spinal arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Facet Joint Disease
- Spinal fractures
The Spine Specialists Team at OrthoNeuro has helped thousands of patients with Sciatica return to an active and healthy lifestyle using a variety of treatment options.
How is Sciatica Treated at OrthoNeuro?
At OrthoNeuro, Sciatica is usually effectively treated using non-surgical treatment options. The Board Certified Spine Specialists at OrthoNeuro create treatment plans based on your lifestyle and goals. These treatment plans may consist of any combination of the following non-surgical treatment options:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical therapy
- Corticosteroid injection
Surgery may be recommended if Sciatica does not respond to non-surgical treatment options. Two of the most common procedures used are a Minimally Invasive Microdiscectomy or a Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion. The Board Certified Spine Surgeons at OrthoNeuro are experts in a variety of Minimally Invasive Surgical procedures to treat Sciatica.
Related Services and Procedures
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Herniated Disc
- Osteoporosis Spine Fractures
- Arthritis in The Spine
- Cervical Radiculopathy
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Facet Joint Syndrome
- Sacroiliac Joint Fusion
- Sacroiliac Joint Injection
- Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty
- Spinal Cord Stimulation
- Revision Spine Surgery
- Epidural Steroid Injections
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Discectomy
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusion
- Minimally Invasive Laminectomy
- Minimally Invasive Cervical Spinal Fusion
Make an Appointment with an OrthoNeuro Spine Surgeon Today!
- If you have been experiencing Sciatica, schedule an appointment with one of our Board Certified Spine Specialists at one of our 7 convenient locations throughout Greater Columbus.
- We will evaluate your unique lifestyle and goals to determine which type of treatment is best for you.
Meet Our Spine Team
Back Pain Stops Here.
Get started today with a comprehensive treatment plan.